Half omelette and half pancake, this puffy masterpiece is a meal by itself. The secret of its success is to pour the batter into the fat while it is very hot and to bake it right away.
1/4 lb. salt pork
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
Yield : 4-6 servings
- Remove rind from salt pork. Cut pork into 2"x2" or 3"x3" slices, 1/4 " thick. Arrange slices in bottom of a heavy 10" fry pan. Cover slices with boiling water. Simmer pork for 5 minutes and drain
- Return pork to fry pan. Fry until nicely golden.
- Spoon or pour flour into dry measuring cup. Level off and pour into bowl.
- Dissolve soda in milk. Add to flour mixture and beat with rotary beater until smooth.
- Beat eggs until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter over hot pork slices and fat in frying pan (God that sounds so good to say out loud).
- Bake immediately at 400 degrees F., about 20 minutes or until knife comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately, right from the frying pan. Serve with maple syrup.